Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Just like the locals

I'm writing from a park in front of Notre Dame and near Point Neuf on a warm and sunny day. A cool breeze comes along every now an then and the combination keeps me glued to this spot.
     Today Amy and I walked through the Louvre! We were there only 2 hours when AMy said she needed to go back to the foyer to sleep. Of course I told her to go ahead I'd be fine but I really wanted to go with her just so I wouldn't have to face finding my way back to the hotel alone.  But here I am; I will now attempt to spend the day alone in a country in which I don't speak the language save "where is the toilet" and safely return "home" by 4pm. I'm scared but I know I can do it. I think I look like a local today. I've had 2 people come up to me asking me for directions. Je ne pas parl francais I stammered back. They got the point.
     Notre Dame is immense in size and structure. Imagine the foundation for this building were laid in 1000 BC!  In fact there is history wherever I look.  There were children playing all over the "face and hands"sculptures and they didn't seem to notice the history all around them. Not even a passing glance at the Dame. But they will grow up with a sense of belonging to a society with deep roots and a long history. How different from a child growing up in the U.S. where the whole entity is still referred to as 'an experiment in democracy'.  The U.S. is so young compared to Europe and Asia yet we dare to impose our impetuous will on the rest of the world.  I really don't know how the French people feel about Americans.  I just know that U.S. culture has crossed the Atlantic.  So far when I tell people my name is Pamela they say "ah, Pamela Ewing from Dallas".  They must be getting old reruns.  I laugh and smile and say "we, Pamela Ewing" and hope Pamela Ewing is a nice person on the show. 
     Later same day: Getting back to the Louvre - some paintings depicted such human sorrow I started to cry. Such deep emotion and suffering. I only wish I had written down the names of the paintings and artists. I feel so privileged to have seen them and it was kind of nice to take my time and ponder them alone. Being here is already effecting my outlook. I'm not sure how to explain it yet but I'm realizing I want to surround myself with examples of the beauty I am seeing.  I made it successfully back to the foyer by 3pm! I did it and am so proud of myself!
     In the evening we went to a real apartment in Paris (M Javel), home to real French people, namely Isabelle and Jean-Claude. Donna and Bernie took us there. First the 4 of us  joined Isabelle and Jean-Claude and others (Anni, Thierry and Charles-Henri) at the Place de la Concorde where there was a commemorative celebration (of what, I'm not sure). There was a musique and light show, fireworks and a video presentation. It was exciting to be part of the crowd sharing jubilation with real French people. Viva la France! 
     I felt akward not knowing French, though. Bernie (who used to be Donna's boyfriend) did not speak French either so he kept saying "hi, kiddo" to me, in sympathy.  After the celebration we went back to Isabelle and jean-Claude's apartment. They put about 15 bottles of different libations in the middle of a low, round table and people made their own drinks. Everyone was pleasant and smiled politely to me. Amy was engaged in several conversations at a time and I was jealous of her.  After about an hour I was anxious to go but of course, I tried not to let it show. I have got to learn more French! We've been invited to go out for dinner on Friday so I have a few days to learn some words. I'm nervous but it should be fun.  Thierry drove us home.     
     He has the most amazing eyes.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home