Wednesday, September 24, 2003

A Versailles kind of day

I'm in bed now reflecting on another amazing day in France.  We got up so late this morning - 11:30am and I couldn't believe we'd wasted the morning. We found a patisserie and bought some cheese and spinach bagettes and made our way toward the bus that would take us to....beautiful Versailles!
     Once the palace of Louis 14th, 16th and 18th and of Marie Antoinette this palace was the most ornate building I've ever visited: gold leaf-edged frames, rich-colored fabrics, story-telling tapestries, huge paintngs, momentos, impressive statues.  A true spectacle to behold.  I stood a little straighter in those immense rooms and took smaller, regal steps, imagining that this was my home. 
     The awesome inside of the palace was only to be matched by the spectacular grounds with its symmetrical hedge-bordered gardens and walking paths overhung with bowing trees.  Both Amy and I loved our day here and we really enjoyed each other's company. In this setting we were not interested in the overtures of two grounds keepers trying to get us to agree to meet them after work. It was just as well because Amy and I started to develop headaches and began feeling ill, Amy getting quite ill on the bus trip back.  We gave ourselves food poisoning we figured, but keeping those spinach and cheese bagettes for too long. So much for saving money!  Needless to say we got back and went straight to our room, leaving it only to attempt some phone calls.
     I called mom and let her know how I was and it was comforting to hear her voice - and the relief in her voice that my phone call brought.
     Good night, mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home