Monday, December 08, 2003

All aboard to Brindisi

Train from Roma to Brindisi (Dec. 8) Well, the time to evaluate has arrived, I fear. Today is the official end of our Eurail-pass, though we are going to try to extend its life past midnight when it expires. About one month ago I dreamt of this day. It was the day that gave me hope during lonely and homesick moments. Thinking about it comforted me and made present tensions with Amy tolerable. I knew "I could make it" to that day. So today is that day and how do I feel? So sad and just a little excited. If I dwell long enough on the fact that essentially our trip is over, I could cry. I don't cry though because I'm excited to see Greece, to have a regular schedule until flying back to the USA, to be treated to home made meals, to know that the only other time I'll have to carry my backpack is when I step off that plane to see Adrienne waiting for me. I'll never forget how much I've learned and experienced in Europe. I've grown up from child to adult, I feel. Many irrational fears, like the fear of the unexpected or of simply finding my way through a new city by metro - are erased. I've gained an appreciation for art, for culture, history, excellence. My understanding of international issues is better and my desire to see how Europeans look, dress and live is satisfied. I've become more forgiving of my short comings and hopefully a little more tolerant accepting those of others. Also, I've learned the importance and difficulty of communication. In fact, this probably tops the list of significant lessons. I've travelled with the same person for three months through good times and bad. We made it work and we didn't split up though we could have - as others had. I think I've been able to see some character traits in myself that I don't like. I have been short with Amy on several occasions and only later saw that I jumped to conclusions too soon. I thin kof the times I am harsh on Adrienne, as well, and I feel such regret. How short is the amount of time we have with those we love. I don't want to waste that precious time dwelling on the superficial. I want to let those around me be themselves when I get home. So what if their "chic"is different than mine. I realize, too, that I hold grudges for too long when I'm hurt. i have to become better at saying "what you did hurt me and I want to talk about it now"instead of just keeping quiet and having it spill out later in a tearful blubbering cascade.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your blog and I figured you'd be interested in advancing your life a bit, call us at 1-206-339-5106. No tests, books or exams, easiest way to get a Bachelors, Masters, MBA, Doctorate or Ph.D in almost any field.

Totally confidential, open 24 hours a day.

Hope to hear from you soon!

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home